As usual, week 2 was a bit harder than the first. Extra stresses at work made it especially hard to avoid the sugar, but I managed to make it.
I find it’s particularly hard to find the energy to exercise during the 2nd week of a Whole 30. Low energy levels and headaches kick in – certainly not nearly as bad as the first time, but bad enough to make me a little grumpy and want a little extra sleep. The grey skies and warmer temps that seemed to linger all week didn’t help either. I prefer the cooler weather.
For meals this week we enjoyed a mix of old favorites and new adventures:
- We found pork shoulder on sale, so we did a smoked pulled pork with our favorite simple rub of mustard and black pepper from this, we made sliders with sweet potato buns, baked pork stuffed sweet potatoes, and our favorite pork and apple breakfast casserole.
- A double batch of Paleo Chili
- Slow cooked bolognese sauce with sweet potato noodles – OMG this sauce is a bit painful to put together because of the time commitment, but it rivals any restaurant version I’ve ever had. Like you’d expect, it really gets better over time, and we’ve continued to enjoy this one all week.
- Paleo Gyros – this was really pretty good, though pretty dry compared to the ones we get at our neighborhood Greek place. I made a paleo tzaziki sauce and served this with caramelized onions and asparagus.
- Paleo Barbecue Chicken Casserole – this was pretty good – even my mom said it had a good flavor, and it was pretty easy to make. The star of the show, however, was the prerequisite Whole 30 BBQ sauce which is really awesome, and was slathered all over our pork dishes all week too.
The other thing I’ve been working on is limiting my meal portions. I was rewarded with a weigh-in on Thursday that was lower than before the holidays by a couple of lbs. As the weekend kicked in and my portions grew, the scale got ugly again, but I think it’s safe to say I’m back to my pre-holiday position and in a great place to finally lose that last 8 lbs that I originally wanted to drop. We’ll see if I can keep the stress and the large portions at bay this week.
3 thoughts on “Whole 30 Week #2”
I think I’m within a few days of you on this Whole30. Today was the first day I’ve really had any true temptation – I don’t know why. I did have about half a cup worth of boudin and I’m betting that rice was a trigger maybe. Last week, though I was super tired!!! We got our runs in, but I didn’t make evening crossfit. One night bc I’m coaching Emma in basketball now, but the other night bc I was just too dang tired!!!
Yeah, experience tells me this will get better about near the end of Week 3. My energy is already a little better since I went to bed on time last night and had a good full nights sleep without interruption (thank you, Buddy-the-dog!) and even though the weather wouldn’t allow me to run this morning, I did a 30 minute workout video and feel better for it. Hang in there Whole 30 friends!
Reblogged this on Paleo Marine and commented:
Sherry’s week 2 Whole30 report. I’m not doing the Whole30 like she is, but when we eat together, I’m not eating anything non-Whole30 except for a little treat every now and then after a meal. Otherwise, I’m all Paleo. As I’ve adjusted my portions, I’ve lost a little weight only to gain it back on Saturday due to some pretty heavy grazing/eating while having friends over. No biggie; back to the good habits and serving sizes and it’ll come back down in no time.