Well, another of my favorite recipe pages bit the dust – this time it’s the Paleo Gumbo recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods originally hosted here (http://paleocomfortfoods.com/in-the-kitchen/paleo-gumbo/) . Fortunately, I saved the recipe to my own files just in case.
This is my gumbo recipe adapted from the one originally at paleocomfortfoods.com
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) bacon grease
- 3 tbs. coconut flour
- 3 tbs. almond flour
- 2 cups onions- chopped
- 2 cups celery- chopped
- 2 cups green pepper- chopped
- 2 cups okra- chopped
- 3 cloves garlic- minced
- 1 quart (1 L) can tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) seafood or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound (225 g)lump crab meat-picked over for shells
- 1 pound (450 g) shrimp
- 1/2 pound (225 g) andouille sausage- sliced
- 1 tbs. file powder
- To make roux, heat bacon grease over medium high heat and whisk in coconut/almond flour. Stir continuously until roux has a dark brown color (think dark peanut butter).
- Add onions, celery, peppers, okra and garlic and saute until onions are translucent and celery somewhat soft.
- Add tomatoes, stock and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the crab meat, andouille and shrimp, cooking until shrimp are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in file powder.
- Serve with cauliflower rice or all by its lonesome.