My favorite recipe for Shepherd’s Pie on FunctionalFoodie.com appears to have gone all 404 on me. So while I don’t have the original printed, I know it was based on Gordon Ramsay’s recipe, so I reimagined it. Here’s what I recovered from memory that worked this past week:
Paleo Shepherd's Pie
My re-creation of the amazing Paleo Shepherd's Pie recipe from FunctionalFoodie.com.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs ground lamb (Ground beef substituted is ok, but lamb is best)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 large yellow onion
- 2 large carrots
- 4 tbsp Coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, trimmed and finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, trimmed and finely chopped
- 3 pkgs frozen cauliflower (steamable bags)
- 2 tbsp granulated garlic salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large skillet, warm olive oil and cook meat, crumbling with a spoon or spatula until no longer pink. Drain grease and return to skillet
- Add grated onion and carrot in with meat. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add coconut aminos, garlic and tomato paste. Mix and cook for a few minutes until garlic is fragrant
- Add wine, stock, thyme and rosemary and simmer until liquid reduces.
- Pour meat mixture into a large baking dish
- Steam each of the 3 packages of cauliflower in the microwave according to directions
- Combine cauliflower, garlic salt and black pepper in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add coconut or almond milk if needed to achieve smooth consistency
- Spoon Cauliflower mash over meat and spread until covered
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until cauliflower topping starts to brown
One thought on “Paleo Shepherd’s Pie”
Reblogged this on Paleo Marine and commented:
This is a favorite of ours and is in heavy rotation in our pre-prepared meal plan. Sherry does an amazing job with it, and I highly recommend it.